Looking for an XMPP Jabber client for Linux? CoyIM is a free open source GTK + client with a focus on safety and security.
CoyIM is written in the Go programming language using the GTK + framework. Works on Linux, Windows and MacOS. The chat client has built-in support for Tor, OTR, and TLS.
With Tor support, users can be anonymous during chat, OTR enables end-to-end encryption of communications, and TLS adds another layer of encryption to communication with chat servers.
- Support for the latest OTR.
- Tor detection (if installed) and connection through it.
- Using the TorOnion service for known servers.
- Use a separate Tor circuit for each account.
- Insert a random delay before connecting each account.
- SRV lookup of the server via Tor, if possible.
- Import from Pidgin, Adium, Gajim, or xmpp-client.
- Save all configurations to an encrypted file.
How to install CoyIM:
For Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 20.04, you can easily install the chat app from the universe repository by running a command in the terminal.
sudo apt install coyim
For the latest releases and Windows / Mac OS packages, please visit the official download page.
A Linux package is a single executable file.Just add execute permissions via the file
Properties > Permissions Open a dialog and run it to launch the software.