News 1.2.0 has been released, and supports NewsBlur, porting Feedly to the new collections API, etc.
NewsFlash is a Linux desktop RSS feed reader, which is mainly used with web-based RSS feed readers (such as Feedly, Feedbin, etc.), but it can also be used locally without such web services. This program is a complete rewrite of the FeedReader in Rust, using GTK as the user interface, in addition to many other functions.
Features of the application:
- Support synchronization with Miniflux, Feedly, Fever, NewsBlur (support for this feature was added in the latest NewsFlash 1.2.0), Feedbin and other services, and as I have already mentioned, it also supports local RSS feeds
- Desktop notification
- Quick search and filter
- Tags, categories and stars
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts
- Use the Feedly database for feed discovery (whether you are using a web-based RSS service or a local RSS)
- With libhandy’s adaptive user interface
- Dark mode and 5 built-in themes
- OPML import/export
- Updates can be obtained in the background and have a configurable update interval
- Configurable proxy
- Download the complete content of a specific article on demand
- Export articles as html with embedded images
- Manual offline mode
The application project page also mentioned that work on the Google Reader style API is already in progress, which should add support for web-based RSS feed readers (such as FreshRSS, InoReader and The Old Reader).
|NewsFlash adaptive user interface|
Changes in NewsFlash 1.2.0 include:
- Support for NewsBlur
- Feedly: Porting to the new collection API
- The option to limit the duration of the article is saved in the database
- Option to hide feeds of unread/starred articles
- Update articles with new content such as forum content
- Local RSS: Supports MediaRSS (an RSS extension, which has some enhancements to the RSS shell and is used to combine multimedia files such as audio, video and images in RSS feeds)
- Fix the regression in the database that caused the foreign key constraint to fail
- Feedly: Repair token does not refresh
- Other bug fixes
I have known NewsFlash for a while, but I don’t want to write it because its Feedly integration doesn’t work, at least for me (I follow a lot of RSS feeds), and I don’t like to write things that I personally don’t use . However, in the latest NewsFlash 1.2.0, Feedly works well in this application. By the way, due to privacy reasons, I did not use Feedly to add screenshots of NewsFlash in this article, but instead use the local RSS feed.
It is also worth noting that if you want to implement support for the new RSS feed service, there is a guide with Code template You can use it. Developers are also looking for feedbin service maintainers.
Related to Rust + GTK: Shortwave Internet Radio Player saw its first stable version (1.0)
NewsFlash can be used Flahub, So it can be easily installed in many Linux distributions.Before using Flathub, you need to follow its Quick Setup If you haven’t already. After setting up Flathub, you can install it using the following methods:
flatpak install flathub com.gitlab.newsflash
Please note that some Linux distributions have Flathub enabled by default (such as Linux Mint). In this case, all you have to do is to search for NewsFlash in the “Software” application to install it.
The application is also available in AUR For Arch Linux/Manjaro users (at the time of writing this article, the stable version is outdated, but there is also a Git version).