New version GIMP (GNU image processing program) Recently released 2.10 stable series -2.10.14. This release includes a new “Show All” view mode that displays pixels outside the canvas boundaries, a new “Image” transform type, and more. Also, when no explicit resolution is stored in the import file, images opened with GIMP will now default to 72 PPI.
It is worth noting that, unlike previous major versions of GIMP, the 2.10 branch allows some new features and enhancements to be added to the stable version.GIMP 2.10.14 comes with new
Show All View mode to display pixels outside the boundaries of the canvas. You can mark canvas borders with new
Show Canvas Boundary This option has a dashed line around it. And a new one
Keep Padding New options
Show All View mode to preserve the fill color without displaying the checkerboard.
In addition, some features have been updated to work with this new feature
Show All Modes include color picking, canvas grids, transform tools, bucket fills, and more.Related: How to Convert PDF to Image (PNG, JPEG) Using GIMP or pdftoppm Command Line Tool
Another notable change in this version of GIMP is that images without resolution information stored in the file will now load at 72 PPI. This is because other programs use this setting by default when the pixel density is not set, and this is also recommended by Exif when the resolution is not set. The default pixel density of newly created images will continue to be based on the default image template, which defaults to 300 PPI when no specific template is selected.
More changes in GIMP 2.10.14:
Selected areas continue outside the imageSwitch options to
Allow editing on non-visible layersSettings in Preferences allow painting, transforming, and selecting layers with visibility turned off
- Foreground Selection Tool: New
GrayscalePreview mode. In addition,
ColorPreview (original preview mode) is now available, you can choose any color and opacity for the preview
- Add one
ImageConvert type to conversion tool. This mode converts the entire image, not a single item. Preview of converted image projections in tools with preview capabilities
- Simple 8-bit GEGL filter port: nl filter, film, fractal explorer, flame, shutters, jigsaw, gradient flare, checkerboard, small tile, curved curve, sample coloring, map object, lighting, grid, despeckle , Sphere Designer, Contrast-retinex, Heat, Spark, cml-explorer, Stripe, Tween, Animation Optimization, Deep Merge, Morph, Image Mapping and Gimpressionist
- GEGL filter port with floating support: van-gogh-lic
Normal MapThe filter generates a normal map from the height map in the General section
- Add a gimp-rotate-image-arbitrary action, and a corresponding
Image -> Transform -> Arbitrary Rotation...Menu item to activate the rotation tool in image mode (similar to the corresponding operation of a layer)
- Added support for HEIF color profiles (only when
- PDF export: Text layers in layer groups can now be exported as appropriate text
- XCF loading is more resistant to corruption: it does not stop at the first layer or channel error; instead, it tries to load more layers / channels to rescue as much data as possible from the corrupted XCF file
Swap compressionOptions in GIMP preferences: Explicit control over the tile swapping compression algorithm in GEGL.
Best performanceUsed by default
None(Compression disabled) also available
- Added many mnemonics in various dialogs
- Windows: Install 64-bit Python on 64-bit Windows; Windows installer now supports per-user installation
- Click to view the full change log
The GIMP download page has not been updated to the latest GIMP 2.10.14 version, although the source code is already available Here.
GIMP works with most Linux distributions in official repositories. However, if you are not using a rolling distribution Linux distribution, it may take some time to update the GIMP with the Linux distribution. The easiest way to install the latest GIMP on Linux is to use Flatub or Snap Store.
To be able to install GIMP packages from Flathub, see Flatpak Quick settings page And follow the instructions there, then visit GIMP Flathub page Then click the install button. If you are a Gnome user, you can also search on Gnome Software / Ubuntu Software and install from there.
GIMP can also be downloaded from Snapshot storage, But when I published this, it was not updated to the latest version, although the update may be released soon.
At the time of this writing, GIMP 2.10.14 is available on Flathub, but is not available on the Snap Store (with the previous 2.10.12 version).