GIMP Image Editor 2.99.4 was released a few days ago as the second development release of the next major GIMP 3.0.
The highlights of the release are:
- Usability fixes in various parts of GIMP
- New paint selection tool in the playground
- New generic dialog generation and metadata support API for export plugins
- Multithreaded JPEG2000 decoding
- Initial documentation on porting plugins to 3.0
Just as Christmas exists, there are also comic strips Release notes:
How to install GIMP 2.99.4 on Ubuntu Linux
The new release was created as a Flatpak package that can be installed via the flathub beta channel. As with the previous GIMP 2.99.2, follow the guide for installing on Ubuntu.