GNU Emacs 27.1 was released almost a year after its development. Here’s what’s new in Ubuntu and how to install it.
Emacs 27.1 includes a variety of new features, including:
- Built-in support for integers of arbitrary size
- Text formatting with HarfBuzz
- Native support for JSON parsing
- Better support for Cairo drawing
- Portable dump used instead of unexec
- Support for XDG rules in init files
- Additional initialization file
- Lexical binding is used by default
- Built-in support for tab bars and tab lines
- Image resizing and rotation support without ImageMagick
How to get Emacs 27.1 on Ubuntu:
Emacs available Snap store, V27.1 will be available soon.
To install Emacs Snap, just search for Emacs in your software utility and install it.
The Emacs flatpak package has been updated. Installable Flat hub repository.
To install Emacs Flat Pack, open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and run the following commands one by one.
sudo apt install flatpak
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
flatpak install flathub org.gnu.emacs