Every change you make on your hard disk (like copy, paste, delete, save files) results in disk fragmentation . The modified file is stored in a separate segment on the hard disk that’s different from the original file location. Over time, this can slow down your computer because it looks at different places to open a file.
Defraggler is a free utility which offers you various options to defragment the hard disk. And it’s better than the Windows’ native defragmentation tool. Check out the snapshot of this program below. You can see that it gives all the details of drives on your computer. You can click on analyze button to know about the current condition of your drives.
Go to Help > Drive map legend. You can check the meaning of each color.
When you hover the mouse pointer over blocks, it displays the number of files present in the block.
Click the Defrag button to start the defragmentation process. You can see the progress in the Status section.
Go to Settings> Options. Here you will find plenty of options. You could also schedule the defragmentation to happen at a particular time daily, weekly or monthly.
You may exclude some files from being defragmented. It can be done according to drives, folders, file or file type.
Note : During defragment process your computer will slow down. Also, this tool is better than Windows inbuilt defragment tool because it provides you more options. You can defrag the entire hard drive or only a few files (sort files according to size).
- Defrag hard drive. Defrag the entire drive or just specific files or folders.
- Uses the same technique which Windows uses but provides more customization options.
- Display drive map as colorful blocks. Also shows number of files in each block.
- Supports Windows 7/Vista/XP/2003/2000. Also supports 64-bit version of Windows.
- Schedule your defragment by setting this tool to run daily, weekly or monthly.
- The tool is by the folks behind Ccleaner, another popular system maintenance tool.
Have you used this tool before? Tell us in comments.