The first development release of the next major GIMP 3.0, GIMP 2.99.2, can now be installed for testing purposes.
New features of GIMP 2.99.2:
- GTK +3 user interface
- Support for native Wayland and HiDPI.
- Major refactorings and cleanups
- New plugin API
- More (color) space invasion
- Rendering cache available to improve performance
GIMP 2.99.2 can be installed via the Flatpak package in the “beta” branch of the official Flathub repository. You can open a terminal and run the following commands one at a time to install on Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04, and Ubuntu 20.10.
1. Install the Flatpak framework if you don’t have it (for Ubuntu 18.04) This PPA the first).
sudo apt install flatpak
2. Use the command to add a flathub beta channel.
flatpak remote-add --user flathub-beta https://flathub.org/beta-repo/flathub-beta.flatpakrepo
3. Finally, use the command to install GIMP 2.99.2 (single user only).
flatpak install --user flathub-beta org.gimp.GIMP
Once installed, launch it from the “View Applications” menu and enjoy! In this case, you have GIMP 2.10 (via deb) and GIMP 2.99.2 (via flatpak).
Note: If you have installed both the GIMP flatpak stable package and the beta package, you will only see one in the app launcher. To view the beta version, run the following command:
flatpak make-current --user org.gimp.GIMP beta
And to display a stable version
beta With a command
Uninstall GIMP 2.99.2.
To remove the package, simply run the following command:
flatpak uninstall org.gimp.GIMP