This article explains how to install the latest KDE Plasma 5.16, Posted today, In Kubuntu 19.04 (Disco Dingo). It also includes instructions for completely undoing changes in case something goes wrong with the upgrade, or you just want to use the default Plasma version in Kubuntu 19.04.
Changes in KDE Plasma 5.16 include:
- The completely rewritten notification system comes with a “do not disturb” mode that groups notifications together and displays key notifications in a full screen application. The Notification Settings page has also been updated and is now cleaner and easier to use
- Initial support for using Wayland with proprietary Nvidia drivers. When using Qt 5.13 with this driver, the graphics are no longer distorted after waking the computer from sleep.
- The theme system has been improved. More control over custom widgets, and the theme has been applied correctly to the panel
- Improved appearance of login, lock and logout screens
- Modernize all widget configuration settings and improve the panel to make it clearer and easier to use
- Improved appearance settings section
- When any app is recording audio, a microphone icon will appear in the system tray to warn you
Even though KDE Plasma 5.16 has been released today, Kubuntu Backports PPA has been updated with this new version for Kubuntu 19.04. It’s important to note that Kubuntu Backports PPA provides a new major version of Plasma desktop that has not been fully tested! Currently, PPA has Plasma 5.16 for Kubuntu 19.04 (Disco Dingo), and if you add a repository, you will also get future Plasma updates. At least in the current version, at least in this version, there are no KDE applications (Dolphin, Kate, Konsole, etc.) in this Kubuntu 19.04. The latest Plasma 5.16 is not available for Kubuntu 18.04 LTS in this PPA. If you want to use the latest KDE Plasma and applications with a stable foundation, you may want to check NeonTo upgrade to KDE Plasma 5.16 on Kubuntu 19.04 (Disco Dingo), use:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports sudo apt full-upgrade
Then restart. Something went wrong, or do you dislike the features in Plasma 5.16? You can downgrade to Plasma 5.15 (5.15.4) with the following command, which is the default version available in Kubuntu 19.04:
sudo apt install ppa-purge sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
The package is downgraded and restarted.