Linux Kernel 5.10 was released a day ago as the latest LTS (Long Term Support) release. Here’s how to install it on Ubuntu and Linux Mint:
Linus Torvalds Announced the release of kernel 5.10: “Okay. Here it is-tagged and pushed to 5.10. I always hope that last week was more calm than before, and that’s also true here. Pretty much here. There have been some amendments to the amount, including some last-minute returns that haven’t been amended, but I can’t say “I need another week”. Things look pretty normal. “
The features of kernel 5.10 are:
- New hardware support for Intel Rocket Lake and Alder Lake
- AMD Zen3 temperature monitoring support.
- Support for Raspberry Pi VC4
- Creative Labs SoundBlaster AE-7 sound card support.
- Nintendo switch controller support
- Initial support for NVIDIA Orin.
- Support for AMD GPU DC displays on GCN 1.0 (Southern Islands) GPUs.
- And much more other changes.
How to install Linux kernel 5.10 on Ubuntu: Mainline build kernel Do not include drivers or patches provided by Ubuntu. These are not supported and are not suitable for production use.
For a graphical tool to install the mainline kernel package, try the Ubuntu mainline kernel installer.
The Linux 5.10 (64-bit) mainline kernel package is now available for download at the link below.
generic For general systems, and
lowlatency For low latency systems (such as audio recording):
- linux-headers-5.10.0-xxx-generic (/ lowlatency) _xxx_amd64.deb
- linux-modules-5.10.0-xxx-generic (/ lowlatency) _xxx_amd64.deb
- linux-image-xxx-5.10.0-xxx-generic (/ lowlatency) _xxx_amd64.deb
Alternatively, you can use the terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + T to open a terminal) to download and install the kernel binaries.
cd /tmp/ wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.10/amd64/linux-headers-5.10.0-051000_5.10.0-051000.202012132330_all.deb wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.10/amd64/linux-headers-5.10.0-051000-generic_5.10.0-051000.202012132330_amd64.deb wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.10/amd64/linux-image-unsigned-5.10.0-051000-generic_5.10.0-051000.202012132330_amd64.deb wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.10/amd64/linux-modules-5.10.0-051000-generic_5.10.0-051000.202012132330_amd64.deb sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Once installed, restart your computer and have fun!
Uninstall Linux kernel 5.10.
Reboot the machine and in the boot menu[Grub2-> Advanced Option forUbuntu]Select Boot in the previous kernel with. Then run the command to remove Linux kernel 5.10.
sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-unsigned-5.10.0-051000-generic