In this article we are going to learn How to install Notepad++ code editor in Ubuntu. Notepad++ is a open source application is a source code editor used to edit text based files. You can use Notepad++ code editor application to write programming languages like HTML, C, C++…etc..Notepad++ is only available for Microsoft Windows OS. Initially Notepad++ was developed by Don Ho on year 2003 using C++ programming language and released under GNU GPL license. Notepad++ code editor is a nice light weight application comes with various features mentioned below :
- Notepad++ code editor application supports almost 80+ languages.
- Available for both 32 Bit and 64 Bit operating systems.
- One of the best feature of Notepad++ code editor is auto complete i.e. duing typing some program or code, the application will suggest the syntax of code automatically.
- Open multiple text files using tab feature.
- Save the edited files automatically. This feature is useful when your system get shutdown automatically due to power failure or for some technical reason.
Officially Notepad++ is not available for Linux operating systems but with the help of Wine we can install it in Ubuntu. So let’s get started.
Follow the below steps to install Notepad++ code editor in Ubuntu:
As we discussed earlier Notepad++ is officially not available for Linux operating system. So to install Notepad++ in Ubuntu first we have to install an package called Wine.
So now I am assuming that you have read the above article and ready with wine 2.0 to install Notepad++ code editor. So to install Notepad++ application just download the application from official website Here.
Also Read – How to Install Wine In Ubuntu
After download the Notepad++ code editor .exe setup file just right click on the setup file, select open with and then click on Wine Windows Program Loader. Then select your preferred language then click on Ok.
- Click on Next to start the Notepad++ code editor installation.
- Click on I Agree button to agree the License Agreement.
- Select the installation type. By default it comes with custom installation. So here I am going with custom installation. Click on Next to continue the installation.
- Installation path for Notepad++ Code editor application. (Recommended : Go with default Path)
- Click on Install button to start the installation.
- Now just click on Finish button to complete the Notepad++ code editor application installation.
- After installation you will get a shortcut of Notepad++ code editor on desktop. just double click on shortcut to open the application.
Also Read – How to install Notepadqq Text Editor in Ubuntu 18.04 – A Alternative to Notepad++
That’s all, In this article, we have explained the How to Install Notepad++ Code Editor in Ubuntu. I hope you enjoy this article. If you like this article, then just share it. If you have any questions about this article, please comment.