This simple tutorial shows how to install x-apps, a bunch of GTK3DE-independent applications, on Ubuntu 20.04 via GPA.
X app It is a collection of applications that are independent of GTK3 DE and are not as closely tied to a particular distribution or DE as their ancestors. This project was started by Linux Mint in 2016.
The idea behind this project is to replace applications that are no longer properly integrated outside of a particular environment (this is the case for more and more GNOME applications) and provide the desktop environment with the same set of core applications. And let each change. For each new feature under development, the small improvements made in one of them will benefit all environments, not just one.
this is Ubuntu PPA It includes these app packages for Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, and Ubuntu 20.04.
- pix – An image management application based on gThumb,
- xed – A text editor based on Pluma,
- xplayer – Totem-based media player,
- xviewer – Image viewer based on Eye of GNOME
- xreader – A document reader based on Atril.
1. Open a terminal from the system application launcher. Once open, run the command to add the PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:savoury1/xapps
Enter your user password (without visual feedback) when prompted and press Enter to continue.
2. Next, update the package cache and install any or all of the packages.
sudo apt update sudo apt install pix xed xplayer xviewer xreader
xplayer, Or other packages of the apt command if you don’t want to install it.
Uninstall X app:
To remove the PPA, open a terminal and run the following command:
sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:savoury1/xapps
To remove x-apps, run the following command:
sudo apt remove --autoremove pix xed xplayer xviewer xreader