In this guide, we will cover installing Apache OpenOffice in Kali Linux, Ubuntu and Debian. Apache OpenOffice is a free Office utility for Linux, Windows and Mac. You must have OpenOffice | LibreOffice in Linux is the best Microsoft Office in Windows. Installing OpenOffice in Linux is simple and you need to pay attention to the latest version in this tutorial. When installing LibreOffice or OpenOffice through the official Linux system repository, you usually get outdated versions.
Apache OpenOffice features at hand
- writer A word processing program that you can use for everything from writing a quick letter to making an entire book.
- Calculation A powerful spreadsheet with all the tools you need to calculate, analyze and display data in digital reports or dazzling graphics.
- deep impression The fastest and most powerful way to create effective multimedia presentations.
- painting Lets you make everything from simple charts to dynamic 3D illustrations.
- basis Lets you operate the database seamlessly. Create and modify tables, forms, queries and reports, all from within Apache OpenOffice.
- mathematics Lets you create mathematical formulas through the graphical user interface or by typing formulas directly into the formula editor.
To install it, follow these steps, which will give you the latest Apache OpenOffice running on Kali Linux, Debian-based distributions, and Red Hat-based distributions.
Install OpenOffice on Debian and Ubuntu
- Download the latest version of Apache OpenOffice Apache OpenOffice homepage
- On the download page, select the Debian version (64-bit or 32-bit).
Click the Download Full Installation link.
Use the wget command.
2. Extract the files into the downloaded folder by typing:
tar xvf Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
3. Switch to the en-US folder and DEBS folder created after decompression, such as
$ cd en-US/DEBS $ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Wait for the installation to complete. You will get the OpenOffice suite in Applications> Office.
Install OpenOffice on Red Hat, CentOS or Fedora
Download the Linux 64-bit RPM version from the download page.
Download using wget command.
After downloading, extract it using commands.
tar xvf Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.7_Linux_x86-64_install-rpm_en-US.tar.gz
Make sure you don’t have any version of Openoffice installed.
sudo yum remove openoffice* libreoffice*
For Fedora, run:
$ sudo dnf --setopt=clean_requirements_on_remove=false remove libreoffice*
Then change directory to the RPMS subdirectory of the installation directory. You should see a lot of rpms here, and one called “Desktop integration“.
Install OpenOffice RPM using the following command:
cd en-US/RPMS sudo rpm -Uvih *rpm sudo rpm -Uvih desktop-integration/openoffice*.rpm
Thank you for reading and hope this article is helpful to you.
For other systems.
Install OpenOffice on Fedora
Install OpenOffice on macOS
- How to install OpenOffice on Linux
- How to install OpenOffice on Ubuntu
- How to install OpenOffice on Debian
- Install and update OpenOffice on CentOS and Fedora.
- How to install and update OpenOffice on Linux