In today’s guide, we will guide you through the steps required to install Kali Linux 2021.1. Kali Linux 2021.1 is ready for download, which contains many DE updates, NetHunter updates, and support for VMs on Apple Silicon. Kali Linux is a widely used operating system created for security professionals and Linux enthusiasts. The Linux distribution is a rolling distribution, which contains dynamic updates of its distribution.
Kali Linux 2021.1 version makes things better. By default, Kali uses Xfce, but during the setup process, it is allowed to choose GNOME, KDE or no GUI. There are also pre-configurations for Enlightenment, i3, LXDE and MATE.
What’s new in Kali Linux 2021.1
Some major changes are:
- Xfce 4.16 -We have updated the current preferred default desktop environment and adjusted it
- KDE 5.20 -Plasma also got a version upgrade
- Terminal –
tilixEveryone has done various kinds of work on them
- No instructions found -Help you to say whether you need to install the program
- Collaboration with more tool authors – BC Security and Joohoi have been developing great tools and we want to support them
- New tools and updates -A variety of new tools have been added to Kali and are ready for you
- Kali NetHunter -New BusyBox & Rucky version, and start-up animation
- Kali ARM -Initial support for Apple Silicon (Apple M1) and Parallels on Raspberry Pi 400 (WiFi support)
Install Kali Linux 2021.1-Step by step using screenshots
In the next part, we will show you how to download the Kali Linux ISO image, make it bootable and how to start the installation of Kali Linux 2021.1 on a laptop or desktop.
The following is a set of new tools provided in the Kali Linux 2021.1 release:
- Egdenton -Audit the wireless network
- DNS -Generate permutations, changes and mutations of subdomains, and then analyze them
- Arjun – HTTP parameter discovery suite
- chisel -Fast TCP/UDP tunnel over HTTP
- DNS -Generate a combination of domain names based on the input provided
- Dumpster Diver -Search for secrets of various file types
- GetAllUrls -Get known URLs from AlienVault’s Open Threat Exchange, Wayback Machine and Common Crawl
- GitLeaks –Search the history of Git repo to find secrets and keys
- HTTP gown -List domains and explore HTTP and HTTPS servers that can be used normally
- DNS -High-performance DNS stub resolver for batch lookup and reconnaissance
- PSK Bandit – WPA/WPS toolkit for generating default keys/pins
- WordlistRaider -Prepare the existing word list
Step 1: Download the Kali Linux 2021.1 installer ISO
Visit Download Page and extract the latest version of Kali Linux.
--- With wget --- $ wget https://cdimage.kali.org/kali-2021.1/kali-linux-2021.1-installer-amd64.iso
If you have a torrent app, you can use Torrent link. The images of VirtualBox and VMware are ready to be started. If you need a real-time image, please pull it under the “Kali Linux (real-time)” section.
Step 2: Create a bootable USB drive
If you want to install on a laptop, desktop or server, you need to create a bootable media for installation.
On Linux, use the dd command:
sudo dd if=kali-linux-2021.1-installer-amd64.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=512k
where is it:
- /dev/sdX Is your USB device
If on Windows or macOS, the user Etcher.
Select the image, USB device and click flash Button to start.
Step 3: Boot Kali Linux installer image
Insert the bootable USB drive into the computer and boot from it to start the installation process. Once started:
Choose the graphical installation method-recommended for new users.
Choose the language used during installation – English language for me.
Choose a country to set the correct time zone for your machine during the installation process.
Configure keyboard keyboard mapping.
Wait for the installation components to be loaded.
Set the hostname of your machine.
Set the domain name and it will become part of the FQDN – <主机名>.<域名>
Create users for non-administrative activities-set full names and usernames.
Set user password.
Set the desired time zone
Choose a disk partitioning method-if you are not sure, please select “Boot-use the entire disk“.
Select the disk to be installed.
Choose how to partition. For new users, all files in a partition can work normally. If you have enough installation disk size, you can use separate /home, /var, /tmp partitions. This may require custom partitioning in the previous steps for accurate disk allocation.
Write changes to disk.
If you choose LVM, set the size of the volume group to be created.
Commit changes to the disk
Wait for the installation to start-this will take a few minutes.
If you have a network proxy for external access, configure it in the next screen.
Parcel manager Easy The configuration will begin.
Select the software application and Kali desktop environment to be installed.
You can choose the tool according to your Kali Linux use case-installation purpose.
Install the GRUB boot loader into the master boot record so that you can boot the Kali Linux image.
Select the target disk to install GRUB-mainly the first disk.
If you don’t see any error messages, the installation completed successfully.
Verify the installed operating system version:
$ grep VERSION /etc/os-release VERSION="2021.1" VERSION_ID="2021.1" VERSION_CODENAME="kali-rolling" # Kernel release $ uname -r 5.10.0-kali3-amd64
You can perform a system upgrade after installation:
sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade
If the package repository does not work, add the following command:
echo "deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list
Check if you need to restart:
[ -f /var/run/reboot-required ] && sudo reboot -f
More articles about Kali Linux:
Install VLC Media Player on Kali Linux
How to install PHPMyAdmin on Kali Linux
How to install AnyDesk on Kali Linux
Install Visual Studio Code on Kali Linux