Linux Kernel 5.11 was released one day ago on Valentine’s Day. To install on Ubuntu and Linux Mint-based systems:
Linus Torvalds Announcing kernel 5.11: “Nothing unexpected or particularly scary happened this week, so here’s it – I’ve tagged and pushed out the 5.11. In fact, this is a set of commits that are smaller than the average from rc7 to final. Yes, I’m happy. And now that I have some pull requests already in line for tomorrow, I’m ready to start the merge window. “
The new features of Linux kernel 5.11 are:
- Intel integer scaling support
- Intel asynchronous page turning support
- Initial support for AMD Green Sardine and Van Gogh APU
- Intel WiFi 6GHz band support
- NVIDIA RTX 30 “Amps” Support
- OUYA game console and other new ARM hardware support
- Improved support for USB 4 and Thunderbolt
- Intel Alder Lake sound support
- Fixed AMD frequency invariant performance regression.
How to install Linux kernel 5.11:
The Ubuntu Mainline Kernel Archive provides new kernel packages via DEB files.
The· Mainline build kernel Do not include drivers or patches provided by Ubuntu. These are not supported and are not suitable for production use.
If you prefer to use a graphical tool, please refer to this tool to install the latest kernel.
To manually download the Linux 5.11 mainline kernel package, go to the link button.
generic For general systems, and
lowlatency For low latency systems (such as audio recording):
- linux-headers-5.11.0-xxx-generic (/ lowlatency) _xxx_amd64.deb
- linux-modules-5.11.0-xxx-generic (/ lowlatency) _xxx_amd64.deb
- linux-image-xxx-5.11.0-xxx-generic (/ lowlatency) _xxx_amd64.deb
Alternatively, you can use the terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + T to open a terminal) to download and install the kernel binaries.
cd /tmp/ wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.11/amd64/linux-headers-5.11.0-051100_5.11.0-051100.202102142330_all.deb wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.11/amd64/linux-headers-5.11.0-051100-generic_5.11.0-051100.202102142330_amd64.deb wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.11/amd64/linux-image-unsigned-5.11.0-051100-generic_5.11.0-051100.202102142330_amd64.deb wget -c https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.11/amd64/linux-modules-5.11.0-051100-generic_5.11.0-051100.202102142330_amd64.deb sudo dpkg -i *.deb
Once installed, restart your computer and have fun!
Uninstall the Linux kernel 5.11.
Reboot the machine and in the boot menu[Grub2-> Advanced Option forUbuntu]Select Boot in the previous kernel with. Then run the command to remove Linux kernel 5.11.
sudo dpkg --purge linux-image-unsigned-5.11.0-051100-generic