The popular Markdown editor Mark Text released a new version (0.16.0, then 0.16.1 to fix bugs) over the weekend. This update brings an experimental spell checker, file encoding support, support for custom fonts and more.
Mark Text is a free and open source Electron Markdown editor for Windows, macOS and Linux. It has CommonMark and GitHub Flavored Markdown functions, seamless real-time preview, multiple editing modes (typewriter, source code and focus) and support for code protection in all popular languages. View the mark. There is also a Gedit Markdown plugin.
Other Mark Text features include inline and block math support, TOC (table of contents) syntax support, keyboard shortcuts, search and replace, paragraph/word/character count, 6 built-in themes (light and dark) and export to PDF, HTML/style HTML.
The latest Mark Text 0.16 adds many features and enhancements, including:
- Experimental spell checker (Hunspell on macOS, Windows and Linux, built-in OS spell checker on Windows and macOS)
- Supports embedded images and small images (previously, embedded images were always displayed as block images in preview mode)
- Mark Text’s built-in GitHub image uploader now allows selecting the branch to upload to
- You can again set “Marked Text” to use any font you want
- It is now possible to search for images from Unsplash and insert them into Markdown files directly from Mark Text
- Support RegExp search and replace file editing
- Support file encoding/decoding and automatic guessing of file encoding
- Support superscript and subscript Markdown extension
- Support footnotes
CTRL/CMD+SHIFT+FNow open the sidebar and focus on “Search in Folder”
- Windows Jump List Entry
- Export and print options
- Cycle through tabs through shortcuts
- Close tab by middle mouse button
- Support TOML and JSON front-end issues
- The label now has a menu
- Resize image and switch between inline and block images
- Parse page title when pasting link
- Add link tool: unlink and jump
- Support GFM automatic link and automatic link expansion
- Added Alt accelerator on Linux and Windows
- Added notifications for each tab for file changes
- Search input now press the key to search
- Code block optimization
In addition, Mark Text 0.16 also includes some other small improvements and fixes nearly 50 errors.
The new experimental spell checker is disabled by default, so to use it, enable it from the settings (“Spelling” tab). From there you can also automatically identify the language used (only Windows/macOS comes with OS spell checker), set the default spell checker language, and add a new Hunspell dictionary.
Also note that due to some rendering issues with frameless windows, Mark Text 0.16.0 (and 0.16.1) has disabled hardware (GPU) acceleration on Linux using Wayland.
Download mark text
The “Tagged Text GitHub Distribution” tab contains binaries for Windows, macOS and Linux (DEB, RPM, and AppImage and .tar.gz that should run on any Linux distribution). The app also Available on Flathub.