Introduction: Movim is an open source decentralized social media platform that relies on the XMPP network and can use XMPP to communicate with other applications.
We have highlighted some open source alternatives to mainstream social media platforms. In addition to these options available, I came across another open source social media platform that focuses on privacy and decentralization.
Movim: Web-based open source social platform
Just like other XMPP desktop clients, Movim It is a web-based XMPP front end that allows you to use it as a syndicated social media.
If you don’t know, XMPP is an open standard for messaging.
Therefore, Movim can act as your decentralized messaging application or mature social media platform, providing you with an all-in-one experience without relying on a centralized network.
It provides many functions and can attract all kinds of users. Let me briefly highlight most important aspects.
Features of Movim
- Ability to organize video conferences
- Publish articles/story publicly to all joint networks
- Adjust the privacy settings of posts
- Talk easily with other Movim users or XMPP users with different clients
- Automatically embed links and images into posts
- Use hashtags to easily browse topics
- Ability to focus on topics or publications
- Automatically save drafts when entering articles
- Supports Markdown syntax, so you can publish informational articles and start publishing on the Internet for free
- React to chat messages
- Support GIF and funny stickers
- Edit or delete your message
- Support screen sharing
- Support night mode
- Provide self-hosting options
- Free public examples are also provided
- Cross-platform network support
Use Movim XMPP client
In addition to all the features listed above, it is also worth noting that you can also find the Movim mobile app in the following locations: F-robot.
If you are using an iOS device, it may be difficult to find a good XMPP client (I don’t know any good options). If you exclude it, you shouldn’t have any problems using it on your Android device.
For desktop computers, you only need to use Movim Public instance, Register an account, no matter which platform you are on, you can use it on your favorite browser.
Although the idea of a decentralized social media platform is good, not everyone is willing to use it because they may not have friends and the user experience is not the best choice.
Having said that, XMPP customers like Movim are trying to build a joint social platform so that ordinary consumers can easily use it without hitting h.
Just as users have spent a while looking for alternatives to WhatsApp, enthusiasm for decentralized social media platforms like Movim and Mastodon is also possible in the near future.
If you wish, please consider donating to their projects.
What do you think of Movim? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below.