It’s been a year of transformation for OnePlus. While OnePlus 8T is a glimpse into the company’s past in a killer-style flagship, the OnePlus North is the first phone in a brand new budget line and strategy from OnePlus. Of course, the OnePlus 8T is better if we don’t look at the price. But let’s look at the price and let’s find out if the OnePlus 8T is worth the extra money over the OnePlus Nord.
OnePlus 8T vs. OnePlus Nord: Design and build quality
At first glance, it’s hard to tell the difference between these two phones by their appearance alone. Both have a glossy glass back, a quad camera module on the top left, and OnePlus branding. I prefer the matte sides of the OnePlus 8T over the glossy surface of the OnePlus Nord, but other than that, both phones are visually very similar.
But when you pick up the phones, the differences become apparent. First of all, the OnePlus 8T is finer and tighter in the hand thanks to the aluminum frame. The plastic frame of the OnePlus Nord doesn’t feel cheap, but neither does it feel of high quality. This makes the OnePlus Nord much lighter.
Another difference that I noticed is that the buttons on the OnePlus 8T are significantly more clickable and tactile compared to the Nord. Even the mute slider moves more smoothly on the 8T, while the one on the Nord feels rough in comparison. All in all, while the OnePlus Nord isn’t bad in design and optics, the OnePlus 8T clearly feels like a segment above the OnePlus Nord in terms of finishing and construction.
Best accessories for OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 8T vs. OnePlus Nord: display
Moving on to the displays now, things are actually pretty good here as both phones have excellent displays. The only difference on paper is that the OnePlus 8T has a higher refresh rate at 120 Hz compared to 90 Hz for the Nord and is a slightly larger size. The difference between 90 and 120 Hz is not really noticeable in everyday life. The difference between the larger dual selfie camera section on the Nord and the smaller punch hole section on the 8T is, to be honest, more significant for me. Although both displays are AMOLED with the same resolution in real life, I have to admit that they are The OnePlus 8T’s display looks better in terms of saturation, vibrancy and color rendering.
However, since the price has to be taken into account here, I would like to say that the display of the OnePlus 8T is better, but does not change the fact that the OnePlus Nord offers an excellent display on its own. So much so that personally I would no longer pay for the OnePlus 8T via the OnePlus Nord just because of the display.
Best accessories for OnePlus Nord
OnePlus 8T vs. OnePlus Nord: performance
When we come to the performance, this is where it gets very interesting. The OnePlus 8T is basically the most powerful Android phone you can buy today with the top of the line Snapdragon 865 processor. If you like to play or Video editing or just like maximum performance under the hood, the OnePlus 8T is the phone to get as the performance gains are significant. Because it’s more powerful, it also gets smoother in the long run.
However, if you’re a general user who restricts social media, texting, some movies, and other non-power-intensive tasks, the OnePlus Nord is pretty good too. The Snapdragon 765G processor is a mid-range processor, but that doesn’t mean it’s lazy, especially in 2020 when even entry-level phones offer decent performance. The OnePlus Nord may have the less powerful processor in comparison, but in a vacuum this phone is powerful enough for everyday use and even casual gaming.
OnePlus 8T vs. OnePlus Nord: OxygenOS
Of course, I won’t dive into the software experience too deeply as both are powered by Oxygen OS. One thing I’m speculating about, and I might be wrong here, is that the OnePlus 8T may receive software updates sooner than the Nord as it is the premium phone. However, since the Nord is a whole new line of products, only time will tell how OnePlus fares when it comes to delivering new software.
Best cases for OnePlus 8T
OnePlus 8T vs OnePlus Nord: camera comparison
Let’s get to the cameras. Visually, both smartphones have a quad camera setup on the back with the same main camera and a similar macro and depth camera setup. The 8T has an improved 16 MP ultra-wide-angle camera compared to the Nord’s 8 MP shooter. On the front, OnePlus Nord has a dual selfie camera compared to the 8T’s single 16 MP snapper. Let’s find out how these work in real life.
- Although both smartphones have the same primary camera module, the difference in image quality is quite noticeable. The 8T captures still images with better colors, noise processing, and high dynamic range. Pictures taken with the OnePlus Nord, on the other hand, have the classic, high-contrast look of OnePlus.
- Both use hybrid zoom to create still images that are magnified twice. The performance is very similar for both devices.
- OnePlus 8T has the widest ultra-wide-angle lens of all OnePlus smartphones. Both smartphones take above-average still images. However, the 8T takes somewhat sharper images with less noise.
- The performance of the macro camera is mixed. OnePlus 8T takes sharper pictures, but the colors are washed out. Macros, on the other hand, taken with the OnePlus Nord have accurate colors, but lacks detail.
- The Nord certainly has a better front camera setup than the 8T. Thanks to the dual camera setup, the Nord takes sharper selfies and offers 2 different focal lengths.
- Portrait mode works well on both devices with a decent subject separation. Sometimes the north tends to go overboard with the smoothing, resulting in images with inaccurate colors.
- Both smartphones have a very good low-light performance. However, the images taken with the 8T are slightly brighter than those taken with the Nord. A major difference lies in the processing speeds. The 8T is significantly faster than the Nord when it comes to processing low-light images.
- When it comes to the rearview camera, the 8T wins in terms of resolution and frame rates. It can record videos in 4K at up to 60 frames per second with different focal lengths, while the OnePlus Nord can only record in [email protected], even that with some restrictions.
- Thanks to the dual front camera setup, the Nord can record videos in 4K at up to 60 frames per second while the 8T hits the top [email protected]
- The video quality is very similar on both devices. The 8T is slightly better than the Nord in terms of stabilization, AF speed, and significantly better low-light performance.
Both smartphones have practically the same camera setup, with minor differences. You get a lot of small improvements with the OnePlus 8T, the most noticeable of which is the processing speed. However, while you get an overall better camera experience with the 8T, I don’t recommend choosing it over the Nord just because of the camera.
OnePlus 8T vs. OnePlus Nord: battery life
Now let’s talk about battery life. I have used these two phones extensively as my daily drivers and can tell you that the battery life is very good on both the OnePlus 8T and the Nord. You can easily achieve a day of use for one day and even extend it to a day and a half without much effort. We’re talking about 5 to 6 hours of SOT on both on a single charge.
However, charging is a different situation. Both phones don’t support wireless charging while both support crazy fast wired charging. But the one on the OnePlus 8T is a lot faster. It’s the first phone to feature the new Warp Charge 65 from OnePlus, which charges it from 0 to 100 in around 40-45 minutes. The OnePlus Nord supports Warp Charge 30T which is slower in comparison but still faster than 99% of the phones on the market. Again, both phones charge very quickly in a vacuum, but the OnePlus 8T wins in this comparison.
OnePlus 8T vs OnePlus Nord: speakers
It is also noteworthy that the stereo speaker setup of the OnePlus 8T is a huge leap in experience compared to the mono speaker at the bottom of the OnePlus Nord. It’s just very easy to block if you hold the phone in landscape orientation. When watching movies, the OnePlus 8T’s earpiece speaker emits audio straight towards you, which definitely improves the overall experience. In this respect, the feel of the OnePlus 8T is also significantly better in comparison.
OnePlus 8T vs OnePlus Nord: call quality
However, the phone call experience is a head scratch. Although the OnePlus 8T’s earpiece is a bit better, I found that the OnePlus Nord was consistently better at it Signal to grasp and hold onto it. Cellular coverage is very area-specific, so this could be an isolated case, but in my experience, the OnePlus Nord’s two-way radios seem to be better than the OnePlus 8T’s.
OnePlus 8T vs OnePlus Nord: Which Should You Buy?
To sum up, you should buy the OnePlus Nord or spend more to get the OnePlus 8T. It really depends on the type of user you are. While the OnePlus 8T offers a significant leap in performance and a few other minor tweaks, they’d be useless to you if you didn’t take advantage of the extra power or don’t mind the incremental changes. If you’re one of those users, get the OnePlus Nord and save your money.
However, if you don’t mind spending the extra cash on the Nord or being a power user, the OnePlus 8T takes a big leap in performance while offering small but important improvements. Get it and I can promise you will fall in love.
Check the OnePlus 8T Price:
Amazon (India): https://amzn.to/2IGjmdr
Amazon (USA): https://amzn.to/3dLrR2D
Amazon UK): https://amzn.to/3kesTqf
Check the OnePlus Nord price:
Amazon (India): https://amzn.to/31ThFzh
Amazon UK): https://amzn.to/3gYXCWD