Oracle VirtualBox 6.1.16 has been released as a new maintenance release with kernel 5.9 support for Linux hosts and guests.
Virtualbox 6.1.16 Change log:
- Fixed random memory corruption and XMM register state corruption in the VM when Hyper-V is used
- Fixed VMS VGA 3D support on Linux guests when Hyper-V is used
- Fixed a Qt related crash on macOS Big Sur
- Fixed an issue where network integration did not work behind some proxies
- Mask the remote wake feature to avoid unresponsive devices
- Fixed an issue with audio playback after the host went to sleep
- Continue to transfer data even if status line monitoring fails
- Fixed blocking of reconnection when TCP mode is used
- Fixed an issue where guests could not use the last timer
- – Fixed system locale detection when running “VBoxManage unattended install” without locale
- macOS Host: The Big Sur installer now notifies users that the system needs to be restarted to load the installed KEXT.
- Supports kernel version 5.9
- Linux Guest: Workaround to improve resizing of 32-bit VMs using the VMS VGA graphics controller. Do not use RandR version 1.3 as the bug will cause the X server to hang.
- Linux Guest: Fixed an issue where the CPU Hot Plug Service would crash the VBoxService during a CPU Hot Unplug event under certain circumstances.
- Fixed additional guest builds for RHEL 8.3 beta
How to install VirtualBox 6.1.16 on Ubuntu:
.deb You can download the package from the link below.
If you have already added the Oracle apt repository for Linux, install the update through the Software Updater.
Alternatively, run the following commands one at a time to add the apt repository.
1. Open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T), paste under the command and run to add the repository.
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list'
For Linux Mint, need to replace
$(lsb_release -sc) With a command
bionic For Mint 19.x, or
xenial For Mint 18.x or
focal For Linux Mint 20.
2. Then use the command to download and install the repository key.
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
3. Use the command to update the system package cache.
sudo apt update
4. Finally, install Virtualbox 6.1.
sudo apt install virtualbox-6.1
To remove it, just run the command in your terminal.
sudo apt remove --autoremove virtualbox-6.1
And[ソフトウェアとアップデート]->[その他のソフトウェア]Go to and delete the apt repository.