KDE Plasma Desktop 5.18 LTS was released one day ago. It can be installed on (K) Ubuntu 19.10 via PPA.
Plasma 5.18 LTS (Long Term Support) release, updated and maintained by KDE contributors over the next two years. function:
- New emoji selector (press Windows key + peroid (.))
- New global editing mode
- Better support for GTK applications with client-side decorations.
- Audio volume system widget improvements.
- Optional user feedback settings (disabled by default).
- Redesigned application style settings.
- Partial scaling improvements in X11
(K) How to install Plasma 5.18 on Ubuntu 19.10:
Open a terminal by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T on your keyboard or by searching for “terminal” from the application menu. When opened:
1.Add Kubuntu backport PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
Enter your user password (without asterisk feedback) when prompted and press Enter to continue.
2. Install Plasma 5.18 on Kubuntu 19.10.
Install all system updates using Update Manager or run commands in a terminal.
sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
3. For users other than Kubuntu:
Run the following command to install Plasma Desktop.
sudo apt update && sudo apt install plasma-desktop
Alternatively, use the command to install the complete KDE desktop environment.
sudo apt update && sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
You can also delete Kubuntu Backports PPA. This will downgrade your Plasma desktop to the stock version of the Ubuntu 19.10 repository (5.16.5).
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports