Quick-read command-line software like Spritz can read e-books faster

Unified reading It aims to improve reading speed by using technology similar to Spritz. The application uses Node.js, runs on the command line, and currently supports EPUB and PDF e-book file types.
According to Spritzinc , When you read “The eye looks for a specific point in a word, we call it the best recognition point or ORP. After your eye finds the ORP, your brain begins to process the meaning of the word you are looking at.”
They continued to mention: “When reading, only about 20% of the time is spent processing the content. The remaining 80% of the time is spent physically, moving your eyes from one word to another, and then scanning the next ORP .”
This is where technology/software like Spritz appears. Using it, you can read text without moving your eyes, which improves the reading speed (this is due to the need to move your eyes and saves 80% of the time) to increase the speed of words displayed on the screen).
This is a quick reading test video, which also contains more information about this:
Now back to Uniread. The command line tool is currently considered to be Pre-Alpha software with a limited feature set, but it already supports displaying EPUB chapters and can be controlled using the keyboard.

Uniread fast reading e-book software
Picture credits: Uniread Github page ; Word display speed can be increased or decreased

Uniread also displays some statistical information, such as current reading speed, reading progress (number of words read/total number), and estimated time required to complete reading the book.
The application cannot continue from where you last interrupted, but it is planned to use this feature in a future version. In the future, there may be more options for displaying multiple words, as well as various other enhancements, such as increasing the time for displaying longer words. Update: Uniread now supports PDF files (only EPUB was originally supported).

Install and use Uniread to read eBooks faster

To install Uniread, you need npm and Node.js. Learn how to install it in Linux, Windows, macOS and other operating systems Here For Debian , Ubuntu , and Linux Mint (and other Debian-based Linux distributions), you may want to check out our article on installing and setting up Node.js and npm properly (including how to configure npm to install software globally without root Package) After setting, you can use the following command to install (use the same command to update) Uniread Quick Read CLI software:

                        npm install -g uniread

You can now use Uniread to start a quick reading. To open an EPUB e-book in Uniread (so does PDF), use:

                        uniread /path/to/some-book.epub

Replace /path/to/some-book.epub And the path and file name of the EPUB/PDF e-book.
use space Pause j / k For the next chapter and the previous chapter, + / - Speed ​​up or decrease text display, and h / l Rewind or rewind. Press q When you want to exit Uniread.


Related Posts