Deluge BitTorrent client It has been more than 2 years since the previous stable version was released, and recently it has reached the 2.0 stable version. Significant changes have been made in the new stable Deluge version, including code ported to Python 3, Gtk UI ported to Gtk 2, sequential download support, new logos, and more.
Deluge is a free and open source BitTorrent client that runs on Linux, Windows, macOS and * BSD. It is written in Python and includes a text console, a web interface, and a graphical desktop interface using Gtk.
The application uses a client / server (daemon) model and has the following characteristics:
- Allow remote connections to the Deluge daemon
- BitTorrent protocol encryption
- UPnP, DHT, NAT-PMP, LSD and peer exchange support
- Proxy support
- Private torrent
- Global and per-seed speed limits
- Configurable Bandwidth Scheduler
- password protection
- Magnet link
- Plug-in system
Deluge comes with some built-in plugins, including a plugin that automatically adds torrent files from monitored folders, block lists, executes commands on events, automatically extracts files when completed, scheduler, and more.
There are also many third-party plugins available which extend their functionality, such as automatic shutdown, batch renamer, smart mobile, RSS plugin and Many othersRelated: VLC BitTorrent plugin to stream video torrents without waiting for a full download (PPA for Ubuntu and Linux Mint) New in Deluge 2.0:
- The code has been ported to Python 3
- Gtk user interface has been ported to Gtk3
- Implementation order download
- New logo
- Multi-user support
- A new console UI that simulates Gtk / Web UI
- Magnet prefetch to select files when adding seeds
- Full support for libtorrent 1.2 version
- Language switching support
- Performance updates to handle thousands of seeds with faster loading
- Provides information on the status of torrent debris
- Add option to specify outgoing connection interface
- Username / password is no longer required for authentication. If either is missing, an authentication error will be sent to the client and the user will be asked for a username / password
- Updated SSL / TLS protocol parameters to improve security
- AutoAdd functionality has been removed from the core and is now a plugin that can do better and support multiple users
- Improved logging
- Gtk user interface:
- Allow changing seed ownership
- Host entries can now be edited in the Connection Manager UI
- Implement sequential download UI processing
- Make torrent start compatible with all unicode paths
- Add keyboard shortcuts for changing queue position: up:
- WebUI: The server (deluge-web) is now a daemon by default, using
- Blocklist plugin: implemented whitelist support for core and Gtk UI
Deluge 2.0 released two minor versions (2.0.1 and 2.0.2) shortly after its release to fix some minor issues. It should be noted that Deluge 2.0 is not compatible with Deluge 1.x (client and daemon). In addition, third-party plugins may need to be updated to work with the latest Deluge 2.0 series.
There is currently no Deluge binary for Windows or macOS, but it is under development. You can still install Deluge on macOS or Windows using PIP like This page.
On Linux, Deluge 2.0 is currently available in Ubuntu / Linux Mint PPA, and also in other Linux distributions via PyPi. For instructions, see This page.