VolleyThe free and open source video editor has been updated to version 18.11.13 yesterday. The new version includes VA-API encoding support on Linux, as well as new options for using hardware encoders in the export screen and other improvements.
Shotcut is a free video editor for Linux, macOS and Windows. It includes multiple functions, from editing functions such as trimming, cutting, copying and pasting, to video effects or audio functions such as peak or peak, loudness, waveform, volume control, audio filter.
There are many things that Shotcut can do, including editing 4K video, capturing audio, supporting network streaming, and more. see it feature Page for a detailed list.
The application uses Qt5 and utilizes the MLT multimedia framework, supports multiple formats with FFmpeg, and has an intuitive interface and multiple dockable panels. The latest Shotcut 18.11.13 was added VA-API Encoding support for Linux (H.264 / AVC and H.265 / HEVC codec). For this, you can use the newly added
Use hardware encoder Checkbox
Export Video Panel and click
Configure Then choose
Another change in this version of Shotcut is the addition of the “New Project / Recent Project” screen, which is displayed when creating a new project (
File > New):
This update also brings a simple / advanced export mode. When exporting video (
File > Export Video), You will now see a simplified panel that enables you to enable and configure the use of the hardware encoder and displays a message stating the default settings and presets that are suitable for most users and purposes. A new advanced button has been added at the bottom to allow users to specify video settings such as resolution, frame rate, codec, etc. Other changes worth mentioning in Shotcut 18.11.13 include:
- Added 10 and 20 pixel grid options to the player grid button menu
- Added View> Range> Video Waveform
- Added Settings> Video Mode> Non-Broadcasting> Square 1080p 30 fps and 60 fps
- Added Ut Video export preset
- Added Spot Remover video filter
- The maximum zoom ratio of the rotation and zoom filter is increased to 500%
- Hide and dissuade GPU special effects
- macOS: added videotoolbox encoding, signed application bundles, and fixed support for macOS 10.10 and 10.11
- Fixed issues such as hangs when exiting, crashes when undoing splits and transitions on the timeline.
You can see the complete list of changes Here.
Download Shotcut Video Editor
On the Shotcut download page, you will find macOS, Linux and Windows binaries. For Linux, there is the official AppImage and portable tar binaries, and a link to Shotcut Flathub with Snapcraft Page (where you can install the application as a Flatpak or Snap package). The Flatpak package has not been updated to the latest Shotcut 18.11.13.
Other video editing software articles about Linux Uprising:
- How to install DaVinci Resolve 15 (generate DEB package) in Ubuntu, Linux Mint or Debian
- Free video editing software Avidemux is now available on Flathub