The free software Planetarium Stellarium 0.20.3 was released a day ago with many changes. This is how to install on Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 20.04 via PPA.
Stellarium 0.20.3 modified the nutation movement and accordingly included many changes to the AstroCalc tool, the Oculars and Satellites plugin, and an updated DSO catalog at the start of the season.
change of New release include:
- Adds B passband for calculating nebula photometric values
- Adds Display Satellite Standard Magnitude and RCS Information to the Satellite Plugin GUI
- Add a new filter for satellites
- Added GUI button to define font color of object information in daylight and overwrite mode
- Add two new columns to the AstroCalc / Positions tool
- Add editable keyboard shortcuts to AstroCalc tool buttons
- Add a new initial time step to the AstroCalc / Phenomena tool
- Added an option to use only by starring on the screen
- Added option to GUI to define text color with equation time plugin
- Add a new button to the shortcut editor and add a new tool to restore the default
- Add an action to resume the trail
- Added “Current Vertical” line
- Ephemeris Support Custom Time Steps Added with AstroCalc / Ephemeris Tools
- Added the ability to display the ephemeris of multiple objects with the AstroCalc / Ephemeris tool
- Use satellite textures to add at the crossing of the moon or sun
- Add new satellite groups: All new satellite groups based on orbital characteristics
- Add the sensor pixel grid to the Ocular plugin
- Added display of CCD binning information to Oculars GUI panel
- Add options to the GUI to toggle the drawing of halos around the moon
- Add a new name to planetary features
- Added star name for O. Hlad Sky Culture
- Add a CLI option to launch Stellarium in scaling GUI mode.
- Add notes to S & T Sky Culture
- Added support for a new type of labelEquatorial to the scripting engine
- Add 3 new satellite groups
- Add a button to define a special color of the satellite in the satellite plugin
- Added International Digignator Information to Satellite Plugin GUI
- Add an epoch of TLE information to the Satellites plugin GUI
How to install Stellarium 0.20.3 on Ubuntu:
of Official Stellarium PPA Includes the latest packages for Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 20.04
1. Press Ctrl + Alt + T on your keyboard or search for “Terminal” from the application menu to open a terminal. Once open, run the command to add the PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stellarium/stellarium-releases
Enter your user password (without asterisk feedback) when prompted and press Enter.
2. Then use the Software Updater utility to upgrade Stellarium from an older version.
Alternatively, run the following command to install or upgrade the software from the terminal.
sudo apt update sudo apt install stellarium
To remove the software, use System Package Manager or run the command.
sudo apt-get remove --autoremove stellarium
Then remove the PPA via the Software and Updates utility on the Other Software tab.