Transmission, the default BitTorrent client for Ubuntu, released a new major version 3.00 a day ago. To install on Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 19.10, Ubuntu 18.04:
Transmission 3.00 Characteristic:
- Allow the RPC server to listen on IPv6.
- Limits unauthorized authentication attempts to prevent brute force attacks.
- Add Peer ID for Xfplay, PicoTorrent, Free Download Manager, Folx, Baidu Netdisk torrent client
- Makes transfers slightly faster by adding TCP_FASTOPEN support
- Added support for mbedtls, wolfssl and LibreSSL
- Add queue up / down hotkeys
- Improve the Qt UI appearance for hi-dpi displays
- And many other changes.
How to install Transmission 3.00 on Ubuntu:
of Official transmission PPA I have built packages for Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 19.10, and Ubuntu 18.04.
Ubuntu 18.04 and Ubuntu 16.04 packages are broken at the time of writing. Please check the PPA link before you start.
1. Open Terminal by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T on your keyboard or by searching for “Terminal” from the System Applications menu. Once open, run the command to add the PPA.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:transmissionbt/ppa
Enter the user password (without asterisk feedback) and press Enter to continue.
2. Then launch the Software Updater (Update Manager) to upgrade your torrent client.
How to restore:
For whatever reason, you can run the command in the terminal to restore the BitTorrent client to the stock version.
sudo apt install ppa-purge && sudo ppa-purge ppa:transmissionbt/ppa