How to upgrade Kali Linux 2019.4 to Kali Linux 2020.1? Upgrading Kali Linux 2019.x to Kali Linux 20.x is easy. Kali Linux is one of the most advanced Linux distributions to perform cyber security assessments, ethical hacking and penetration testing.
Following are the hot features of the Kali Linux 2020.1 release, which is the latest release at the time of this writing.
- Switch from GNOME to Xfce: The default DE is now Xfce. But you can choose KDE, Gnomee.t.c during installation.
- Non-root by default – Create a standard user account during installation. To log in to the live image boot, use
- Kali Single installer image – This is an all-in-one offline installation. Has all default package selections. The image now has XFCE, GNOME, KDE, etc. Unlike older versions, this release distributes the desktop environment as a separate image file.
- Kali NetHunter roots-You can now run Kali NetHunter in an Android phone without root permissions.
- Theme improvement – A new theme for GNOME – light and darkness.
- Cali-Undercover – Kali-undercover now feels like Windows can help with integration.
- New tools -Cloud enumeration, emailharvester, phpggc, sherlock and splinter.
- Python 2 End of Life – Removed tools that depend on Python 2.x.
Upgrade Kali Linux 2019.x to Kali Linux 2020.x
For all existing installations of the rolling Kali Linux distribution, you can always do a quick update. But first, make sure that the official Kali repository is enabled.
sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list<
Note the current version.
$ cat /etc/os-release PRETTY_NAME="Kali GNU/Linux Rolling" NAME="Kali GNU/Linux" ID=kali VERSION="2019.4" VERSION_ID="2019.4" VERSION_CODENAME="kali-rolling" ID_LIKE=debian ANSI_COLOR="1;31" HOME_URL="https://www.kali.org/" SUPPORT_URL="https://forums.kali.org/" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.kali.org/"
Then perform a full upgrade.
sudo apt update sudo apt -y full-upgrade
Restart the system after the upgrade
[ -f /var/run/reboot-required ] && sudo reboot -f
Recheck your operating system version.
$ cat /etc/os-release PRETTY_NAME="Kali GNU/Linux Rolling" NAME="Kali GNU/Linux" ID=kali VERSION="2020.1" VERSION_ID="2020.1" VERSION_CODENAME="kali-rolling" ID_LIKE=debian ANSI_COLOR="1;31" HOME_URL="https://www.kali.org/" SUPPORT_URL="https://forums.kali.org/" BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.kali.org/"
Hope you are confident in Kali Linux.
More about Kali Linux
Install Kali Linux-take screenshots step by step
Add Kali Linux official repository to sources.list
Install Vivaldi web browser on Kali Linux