Oracle Virtualbox released a new maintenance update for the 6.1 series one day ago.
The new release features Linux guests with kernel 5.5 support and a shared folder fix for loopback mounting of images.
Other changes to VirtualBox 6.1.4 include:
- Fixed a rare issue with the ICEBP instruction causing guru meditation on Intel hosts.
- Fixed an issue where macOS Catalina guests could not boot after upgrading to 10.15.2. or later.
- Recent NLS integration and bug fixes for GUI and Qt translation tags
- Fixed isochronous transfer to xHCI VM
- Modify the buffering so that old data is not received when the receive queue is flushed.
- Improve pass-through processing of host serial port on Windows host
- Old restoration
--clipboardmodifyvm command options
- macOS Host: Meets the latest notarization rules that require the required credentials using an enhanced runtime and also require the movement of VirtualBoxVM executables
- macOS host: osxfuse updated to v3.10.4
- Windows hosts: Improved shared folder compatibility with POSIX additional semantics
- Windows hosts: Restore the ability to run VMs via Hyper-V at the expense of performance
- BIOS: Always report non-ATA disks as ready
- BIOS: Reporting EFI support via DMI table
- VGA BIOS: Reduce stack space usage of INT 10h handler
Windows hosts: Update installer’s Italian translation
How to install Virtualbox 6.142 on Ubuntu:
For 64-bit Ubuntu 16.04, Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 19.04, Ubuntu 19.10 and their derivatives, you can download the official .deb binary from the link below.
Alternatively, perform the following steps to install VBox from the official apt repository.
1. Open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T), paste and execute the following command to add a repository.
sudo sh -c 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list'
Linux Mint needs to be replaced
$(lsb_release -sc) With command
bionic For Mint 19.x, or
xenial For mint 18.x.
2. Next, download and install the repository key using the command.
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add -
3. Update the system package cache using the command.
sudo apt update
4. Finally, install Virtualbox 6.1.
sudo apt install virtualbox-6.1
To delete, just run the command in Terminal:
sudo apt remove --autoremove virtualbox-6.1
Then go to Software & Updates-> Other Software and delete the apt repository.