The VideoLAN team has announced the release of VLC 3.0.12 as the 13th version of the “Vetinari” branch.
The new release features native support for Apple Silicon hardware, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and newer versions of the M1 processor for Mac mini.
Other changes VLC 3.0.12 include:
- Fixed audio distortion when starting playback on macOS
- Fixed a crash with Direct3D video filters
- Fixed processing of adaptive streaming resolution settings
- Added support for RIST protocol
- Visual improvements to macOS Big Sur
- Fixed some web interfaces
- YouTube and Vocaroo script updates
- And some security issues
How to install VLC on Ubuntu:
VLC provides the official Ubuntu binaries via a Snap package that can be installed directly from the Ubuntu software.
It’s still 3.0.11 at the time of writing, but it just installs the packages that are automatically updated to the latest version.